Practice Fusion’s commitment to safety: Who we are and What we do
Thursday, September 17, 2020 is World Patient Safety Day.
As we celebrate World Patient Safety Day, the Practice Fusion team wants to express our appreciation to the clinicians who work every day, sometimes putting their own health at risk, to improve the safety and health of their patients. Health care is complex and requires teamwork across many stakeholders to ensure patient safety is a top priority. At Practice Fusion, we recognize our responsibility and strive to continually enhance our culture of safety.
The Joint Commission defines Safety Culture as “the sum of what an organization is and does in the pursuit of safety” – the combination of an organization’s people and processes. At Practice Fusion, we have taken several steps throughout the organization to enhance our safety culture.
As described by The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), a key feature of a safety culture is commitment to safety at all levels of the organization:
- Practice Fusion employees - Practice Fusion employees are the heartbeat of our organization. While employees have long advocated and addressed patient safety, Practice Fusion has incorporated additional training for all associates to build upon their knowledge of Health IT safety.
- Practice Fusion Patient Safety Board - These individuals are safety champions who manage the Practice Fusion Patient Safety Process and proactively identify safety best practices for continuous improvement of software development.
- Clinical Leadership - Geoff Caplea, MD, CPPS was recently appointed Chief Medical Officer. Dr. Caplea is a passionate advocate for the thoughtful use of health IT to achieve patient care that is free from harm. As a result of his collaborative work, Dr. Caplea was recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as one of the top 50 patient safety experts to know in 2020. Dr. Caplea leads our Clinical Council - a community of clinicians and clinical researchers from across the organization that collaboratively develops strategic clinical insights to help better serve our clients.
The Practice Fusion Patient Safety Program maintains a comprehensive process to ensure a culture of safety and quality. We are committed to the highest level of safety and quality in our projects and services and fully understand the critical role our solutions have in the delivery of patient care. Given this commitment, it is our obligation to identify and address potential patient safety (PPS) issues.
Goals of our Patient Safety Process
- Promote – safety culture across our organization
- Identify- potential patient safety issues for clinical evaluation
- Communicate – transparently on patient safety issues
- Resolve - confirmed patient safety issues expeditiously
- Evolve – our solutions by proactively identifying strengths and vulnerabilities to improve safety and usability
Practice Fusion is committed to Patient Safety and, as part of that commitment, we look for ways to continuously improve. Our goal is to provide solutions that are more usable and meet the critical needs of our clinicians in helping to provide safe, high-quality patient care.
Thank you for your commitment to the safety, health, and well-being of your patients.
Click here to learn how Practice Fusion helps clinicians provided safe, high-quality care for their patients.