Practice Fusion’s certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS) feature is available in Rhode Islandto help appropriately credentialed providers meet the state’s EPCS mandate.
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Is Surecript certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Is fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for identity verification to get you up and running quickly
- Provides Patient-specific Formularies and Drug & Allergy Interaction Checks
- Electronic Prior Authorizations (EPA)
- Comprehensive Reporting Modules
- Meets all DEA and Rhode IslandPDMP requirements.
The Rhode Island Prescription Monitoring Program (Rhode Island PDMP) is a controlled substance prescription monitoring system that is designed to a source of information for practitioners and pharmacists to assist them with providing medical and pharmaceutical patient care using controlled substance medications. Rhode Island PDMP tracks and monitors prescriptions for Schedule II, III, and IV controlled substances and other drugs of concern dispensed to patients to prevent the abuse, misuse, and diversion of controlled substances. Rhode Island PDMP also provides an investigative tool for regulatory agencies and authorized law enforcement to identify potential inappropriate use of controlled substance prescription medication. Rhode Island PDMP is an online service available 24/7 that provides patient’s controlled substance drug profile as well as prescriber and dispenser information. Rhode Island PDMP is not intended to prevent patients from receiving needed controlled substance medications.
Integrating Rhode Island PDMP data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR) like Practice Fusion, provides a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. The EHR automatically initiates a patient query, validates the provider’s credentials in Rhode Island PDMP and returns the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration should seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for real-time or near real-time presentation of Rhode Island PDMP data within the EHR.
To register for the Rhode Island PDMP, visit https://rhodeisland.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.