Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet Oklahoma state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS).
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
Authorized under state law to collect controlled dangerous drug prescription information from dispensers for the purpose of protecting against diversion, the Oklahoma PMP provides more than three million prescription drug reports annually to approved users. Oklahoma’s PMP works closely with the Governor’s Office, the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, the Department of Health, the Medical Examiner’s Office and the Oklahoma HealthCare Authority to identify issues affecting the health and safety of Oklahoma residents. In addition, the Oklahoma PMP has developed partnerships with the DEA, Department of Veterans Affairs, and Indian Health Services in an effort to identify drug abuse and develop solutions at every level.
As critical components of our approach, the PMP maintains a robust training and education program, multiple research and analysis initiatives, community outreach, help desk support and a compliance program. The Oklahoma PMP pioneered electronic PMP databases, real time reporting, HIE integration, standard PMP best practices, Interstate data sharing standards and advisory committees.
Although the integration between Practice Fusion and the Oklahoma PMP is not yet available, integrating Oklahoma PMP data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR), like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the Oklahoma PMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in the Oklahoma PMP, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of Oklahoma PMP data within the EHR.
To register for the Oklahoma PMP, visit https://Oklahoma.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.