Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet North Dakota state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS)
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
The 2005 North Dakota Legislative Assembly authorized the implementation of a Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) in the North Dakota Century Code chapter 19-03.5 and rules of the Board of Pharmacy. The intent of the program is to protect the public from drug diversion and misuse through encouraging cooperation and coordination among state, local and federal agencies. Specific initiatives include early identification of individuals involved in diversion or abuse of controlled substances and the education of the public, prescribers, pharmacists, and law enforcement. An advisory council consisting of prescribers, pharmacists and law enforcement, appointed by their individual boards, determines how the program can best improve patient care and reduce the misuse of controlled substances. Sharing of patient profiles between healthcare providers has been approved when a patient is receiving care from multiple prescribers and dispensers.
The PDMP is a secure and HIPAA-compliant online database of all Schedule II, III, IV, and V controlled substances dispensed in the state of North Dakota or for patients residing in North Dakota. All controlled substance prescriptions dispensed for a North Dakota resident are transferred to the PDMP data repository by the dispenser on a daily basis. All out-of-state pharmacies licensed with the North Dakota Board of Pharmacy also submit data on controlled substance prescriptions dispensed for North Dakota residents.
Although the integration between Practice Fusion and the North Dakota PDMP is not yet available, integrating North Dakota PDMP data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR), like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the North Dakota PDMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in the North Dakota PDMP, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of North Dakota PDMP data within the EHR.
To register for the North Dakota PMP, visit https://northdakota.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.