Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet Michigan state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS).
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
MAPS, Michigan’s automated prescription monitoring program is used to track controlled substances, schedules 2-5 drugs. It is a tool used by prescribers and dispensers to assess patient risk and is also used to prevent drug abuse and diversion at the prescriber, pharmacy, and patient levels.
Although the integration between Practice Fusion and the Michigan PMP is not yet available,integrating MAPS data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR) like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the Michigan PMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in MAPS, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of MAPS data within the EHR.
To register for the Michigan PMP, visit https://Michigan.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.