Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet Massachusetts state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS)
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
Massachusetts Prescription Awareness Tool (MassPAT) is an online tool that promotes safe prescribing and dispensing patterns by allowing prescribers and pharmacists to access their patient’s prescription history within the past year. By viewing a patient’s prescription history in MassPAT, a provider can avoid duplication of drug therapies and coordinate care by communicating with other providers to improve clinical outcomes and overall patient health. Utilization of MassPAT can also enable early identification of potential prescription drug misuse, abuse, or diversion and trigger early intervention.
The Massachusetts Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) tracks statewide Schedule II-V prescriptions. With this system in place, practitioners have the tools they need to make the best clinical decisions. The PMP collects dispensing information on prescriptions of Schedule II-V controlled substances. These schedules classify drugs based on their potential for abuse, including prescription drugs that cause dependencies (such as narcotics, stimulants, and sedatives). The PMP also gathers info on any drugs designated by the Department as commonly abused and may lead to dependence.
Although the integration between Practice Fusion and the Massachusetts PMP is not yet available, integrating MassPAT data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR) like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the Massachusetts PMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in MassPAT, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of MassPAT data within the EHR.
To register for the Massachusetts PMP, visit https://Massachusetts.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.