Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet Louisiana state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS).
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
The Louisiana Prescription Monitoring Program is implementing a statewide comprehensive platform for healthcare professionals to review patients’ controlled substance prescription history more quickly and efficiently. The goal of the integration project is to minimize any workflow disruption by providing near-instant and seamless access to critical controlled substance prescription history information to both prescribers and pharmacists. This platform utilizes current PMP prescription data and transfers it into electronic health records (EHR) and pharmacy management systems. This statewide integration is a key component of Louisiana’s ongoing efforts to address the opioid crisis. Accessing and viewing a patient’s PMP report obtained through the integration platform complies with Louisiana’s PMP Mandatory Use Law (R.S. 40:978).
Although the integration between Practice Fusion and the Louisiana PMP is not yet available,integrating Louisiana PMP data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR) like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the Louisiana PMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in Louisiana PMP, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of Louisiana PMP data within the EHR.
To register for the Louisiana PMP, visit https://Louisiana.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.