Practice Fusion’s certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS) feature is available in Indiana to help appropriately credentialed providers meet the state’s EPCS mandate.
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Is Surecript certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Is fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for identity verification to get you up and running quickly
- Provides Patient-specific Formularies and Drug & Allergy Interaction Checks
- Electronic Prior Authorizations (EPA)
- Comprehensive Reporting Modules
- Meets all DEA and Indiana PDMP requirements.
Effective August 24, 2017 Indiana began steps to implement a statewide, comprehensive platform for healthcare professionals to review patients’ controlled-substance prescription history more quickly and efficiently. This platform supports Indiana’s Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (INSPECT) and transfers data into electronic health records and pharmacy management systems. Statewide integration of the INSPECT platform is a key component of Indiana’s ongoing efforts to attack the opioid crisis.
An INSPECT report summarizes the ephedrine, pseudoephedrine or controlled substances a patient has been prescribed, the practitioner who prescribed them and the dispensing pharmacy where the patient obtained them. As stipulated by IC 35-48-7-8.1, licensed dispensers throughout Indiana—and out-of-state (non-resident) pharmacies licensed to dispense drugs in Indiana—are required to submit controlled substance prescription data to INSPECT every twenty-four (24) hours.
To register for the Indiana PMP, visit https://indiana.pmpaware.net/identities/new
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.