Practice Fusion: Using an Electronic Health Record (EHR) to meet Florida state mandates for certified e-prescribing for controlled substances (EPCS).
Practice Fusion’s EPCS system:
- Surescripts certified for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (CII-CV)
- Fully integrated with your EHR and existing e-prescribing workflow
- Offers a streamlined process for fast identity verification
- Provides patient-specific formularies and Drug & Allergy interaction checks
- Automatically receive Electronic Prior Authorizations (ePA) for prescriptions
- Includes comprehensive reporting modules
The Florida Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, known as E-FORCSE® (Electronic-Florida Online Reporting of Controlled Substance Evaluation Program), was created by the 2009 Florida Legislature in an initiative to encourage safer prescribing of controlled substances and to reduce drug abuse and diversion within the state of Florida.
Health care professionals have a crucial role in ensuring the best care for their patients and communities, including optimal and safe pain management. Florida’s PDMP, E-FORCSE®, has proven to be an effective tool to protect public health and safety, while supporting sound clinical prescribing, dispensing, and use of controlled substances. Information maintained in the Prescription Drug Monitoring System (PDMS) can help identify sources of prescription drug diversion such as prescription fraud, forgeries, and improper prescribing and dispensing. Evidence continues to validate Florida’s PDMP as effective in improving clinical decision making, reducing multiple provider episodes, preventing diversion of controlled substances and assisting in other efforts to curb the prescription drug abuse epidemic. A significant increase in registration, utilization and reduction of morphine equivalent dosing by prescribers reflects the usefulness of Florida’s PDMP.
Although the integration between Practice Fusion and the Florida PDMP is not yet available, integrating Florida PMP data within an Electronic Health Record (EHR) like Practice Fusion, can help provide a streamlined clinical workflow for providers. An EHR that is integrated with the Florida PDMP has the ability to automatically initiate a patient query, validate the provider’s credentials in Florida PMP, and return the patient’s prescription record directly within the provider’s EHR. The integration would seamlessly fit into the clinical workflow and allow for near real-time presentation of Florida PMP data within the EHR.
To register for the Florida PMP, visit http://www.floridahealth.gov/statistics-and-data/e-forcse/index.html
e-Prescribing allows a prescriber to use an EHR to:
- Electronically access a patient’s prescription benefit.
- Electronically access a patient’s medication history.
- Electronically route the prescription to the patient’s choice of pharmacy.
e-Prescribing provides the following consumer benefits:
- More accurate prescriptions.
- Improved patient safety.
- Lower healthcare costs for everyone involved.
e-Prescribing provides the following provider benefits:
- Reduction in pharmacy staff time.
- Increase in patient compliance and filled prescriptions.
- Improved relations with patients.
e-Prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) allows a prescriber to:
- e-Prescribe scheduled drugs right from your EHR.
- Use one workflow for all prescriptions.
- Minimize patient wait times at pharmacies.
- Reduce unnecessary office visits.