What are the characteristics of a PCMH?
In 2007, four of the leading primary-care oriented medical professional societies developed the Joint Principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home, which outlined characteristics of the PCMH model as described below:
- Each patient has an ongoing relationship with a personal physician trained to provide continuous and comprehensive care.
- The physician leads a team at the practice level who collectively take responsibility for ongoing care of their patients.
- There is a whole-person orientation.
- Care is coordinated and managed across all elements of the complex health care system and the patient’s community.
- Quality and safety are central to health care delivery.
- Enhanced access to care is available to patients through new systems and communication options.
- Payment appropriately recognizes the added value provided to patients in a PCMH.
Next >> Benefits of PCMH