Report: Practice Fusion shows fastest gains in EMR market share
Independent research shows the free electronic medical record platform outpacing Epic, Allscripts, eClinicalWorks, NextGen and GE combined
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – June 25, 2013 – Practice Fusion, the largest physician-patient platform in the US, is the fastest growing electronic medical record (EMR) vendor in market share gains, according to SK&A reports. Practice Fusion gained 2 percent market share – from 3.8 percent to 5.8 percent – for the period between July 2012 and May 2013.
Only three other top vendors gained market share during that period: Epic and AthenaHealth both saw a 0.6 percent increase and Cerner saw a 0.1 percent increase. Allscripts, eClinicalWorks, NextGen, GE, McKesson, Greenway and Amazing Charts saw market share losses.
According to a CDC report at the end of 2012, only 40% of office-based physicians reported having a basic EMR system, meaning their system met certain standards of core functionality such as sending electronic prescriptions or viewing laboratory results. While some states perform better than others in electronic records adoption, the majority of US physicians are still charting on paper.
- Practice Fusion medical practice market share increased 2 percent (from 3.8 percent to 5.8 percent) between July 2012 and May 2013, according to SK&A reports
- During that same time period, market share for Allscripts dropped 1.6 percent, eClinicalWorks dropped 0.9 percent, GE dropped 0.8 percent and NextGen dropped 0.5 percent
- Market share data is from the July 2012 and May 2013 “Physician Office Usage of Electronic Health Records Software” reports by SK&A, A Cegedim Company
- Practice Fusion doubled both its monthly active user base of medical professionals and its patient population between 2012 and 2013
- With 65 million patients under management, the Practice Fusion population is nearly four times larger than Kaiser Permanente and the Veteran’s Administration combined
- Chelsea Stoner, Partner, Battery Ventures: “We invested in Practice Fusion because we knew their vision for disruptive, affordable technology could accelerate innovation for doctors. It is powerful to see their healthcare technology driving real market change.”
- Ryan Howard, Founder and CEO, Practice Fusion: “This independent report confirms Practice Fusion’s disruption of the EMR sector. We are now the growth leader and the de facto health technology solution for small and medium practices.”
About Practice Fusion
Practice Fusion’s health platform delivers revolutionary technology to doctors and patients. Founded in 2005, the company disrupts the status quo by offering a free, web-based electronic medical record (EMR) system and complete practice management suite for physicians. In April 2013, the company launched its consumer-facing platform, Patient Fusion, where patients can find and book appointments with doctors and access their medical records. Practice Fusion is a driving force in modernizing American health care, used by a community of 150,000 medical professionals serving 65 million patients. The World Economic Forum recognized Practice Fusion as a Technology Pioneer in 2012. For more information about Practice Fusion, please visit www.practicefusion.com.
- Email: email@example.com
- Location: San Francisco
- Phone: 415.992.7534